St Saviour's & St Olave's has been awarded a Bronze Award for being a Sustainable School! Well done to the students and staff on the Eco Team who worked hard on putting initiatives in place and carried out a lot of recycling in order to gain this award.
The new GCSE courses in both Food Technology and Resistant materials include a unit on sustainability. Students work on developing their knowledge and understanding and at the same time educating the rest of the school in ways in which everyone can be more environmentally responsible. Students from this classes will join the existing Eco Team in pushing plans forward and working even harder to gain the silver award and eventually being one of the first schools in Southwark to be awarded the Green Flag for Sustainability.
Look out for news in the newsletters about how you can help at home to make Southwark greener!
Did You Know.......
- 1 recycled tin can would save enough energy to power a television for 3 hours.
- 1 recycled glass bottle would save enough energy to power a computer for 25 minutes.
- 1 recycled plastic bottle would save enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb for 3 hours.
- 70% less energy is required to recycle paper compared with making it from raw materials.
- Up to 60% of the rubbish that ends up in the dustbin could be recycled.
- The unreleased energy contained in the average dustbin each year could power a television for 5,000 hours.
- The largest lake in the Britain could be filled with rubbish from the UK in 8 months.
- On average, 16% of the money you spend on a product pays for the packaging, which ultimately ends up as rubbish.
- As much as 50% of waste in the average dustbin could be composted.
- Up to 80% of a vehicle can be recycled.
- If all cans in the UK were recycled, we would need 14 million fewer dustbins.
- �36,000,000 worth of aluminium is thrown away each year.
- Aluminium cans can be recycled and ready to use in just 6 weeks.
- 275,000 tonnes of plastic are used each year in the UK, that�s about 15 million bottles per day.
- Most families throw away about 40kg of plastic per year, which could otherwise be recycled.
- The use of plastic in Western Europe is growing about 4% each year.
- Plastic can take up to 500 years to decompose.
- Recycled paper produces 73% less air pollution than if it was made from raw materials.
- 12.5 million tonnes of paper and cardboard are used annually in the UK.
- The average person in the UK gets through 38kg of newspapers per year.
- It takes 24 trees to make 1 ton of newspaper.
- Each UK family uses an average of 500 glass bottles and jars annually.
- The largest glass furnace produces over 1 million glass bottles and jars per day.
- Glass is 100% recyclable and can be used again and again.
- Glass that is thrown away and ends up in landfills will never decompose.
To find out how you can be more environmentally friendly visit ........
Show what you know at the Recyclezone Fun Zone........
This page is currently awaiting content