Helping your daughter
As a parent, what can I do to support my daughter?
There are many practical steps that you can take to support and nurture your child, for example by encouraging her to:
- Visit her local library and the internet as learning and research resources
- Visit museums, science centres, nature reserves and art galleries
- Watch educational and current affairs programmes such as the news, wildlife/nature programmes and documentaries, and discuss them
- Read a quality national newspaper
- Discuss and debate topics, such as politics, the environment and the media
- Discuss homework and schoolwork
- Take part in extra-curricular activities – check the school website for events and encourage your daughter to attend activities outside her “comfort zone”.
- Read for pleasure, including challenging books
- Take regular physical exercise
You can also support your child by:
- Providing suitable learning resources such as books, encyclopaedias, magazines, computer software etc.
- Organising day trips and visits to places of cultural, historical and educational interest
- Building cultural experiences, trips and excursions into family holidays.