Art at St Saviour’s & St Olave’s School seeks to foster student’s creativity and an appreciation of art and design. As a department we believe that the artists we teach students about and reflect the full range of backgrounds and perspectives that are found within our society. We believe that young people can only be what they see.
We aim to provide to ensure that all students, regardless of their ability are able to make significant progress in lessons. We encourage students to become independent learners capable of confidently exploring their curiosities, making courageous decisions and produce original pieces of art using different materials.
- To help children to understand and use the language of aesthetics and to comprehend the nature and function of art design within the context of their own work, their environment and culture.
- To improve the quality of children’s learning, their abilities to make informed decisions, solve problems, develop their ideas and the ability to act upon them to make personal responses.
- To develop the necessary skills used in the manipulation of appropriate materials and techniques.
- To develop a broad understanding of the meaning, significance and contribution of art, craft and design within contemporary, historical and multicultural contexts.
- To develop visual literacy and enable students to evaluate visual images.
- To develop individual expressive powers through the practical creation of visual forms, encouraging intellectual, analytical responses and intuitive, emotional responses.
- To develop the ability to hold, articulate and communicate ideas, opinions and feelings about their own work that of others.
- To develop skills in handling and exploring the possibilities of different media and encourage individual aptitudes.
- To develop the appreciation of the skill and effort required to achieve work of quality.
- We encourage a Growth Mindset in the Art department, and students are encouraged to make mistakes, learn from them, practice purposefully and act on the expert advice given.